The first settler in the town of Dryden was George Robertson, who traveled on foot from Saratoga County in 1797 by way of the Mohawk Valley, Auburn, Cayuga Lake and Ithaca. He purchased 180 acres of farm land from a soldier to whom it had be allocated following the Revolutionary War. This land where he built his home is now The Plantation Bar & Grill.
Robertson returned to Saratoga by way of the Bridle Road -- now Rt. 366 and Rt. 13 -- through the Village of Dryden to Oxford and Utica. In 1798 he cleared and tilled his land in the Town of Dryden, and reaped a good harvest. He gave grain to other settlers who he knew had no way of paying for it.
The next year his wife, Melinda, daughter of David Foote, and their children arrived accompanied by her brother William Smith. After viewing the cabin and wilderness, her brother tried to persuade her to return home with him. Melinda decided to 'give it a try' and their child Robert, was born. He was the second child to be born in the Town of Dryden on April 7, 1800. The first child was born a little over a month earlier on February 21, 1800.
The property remained in the Robertson family until December 1, 1910, when it was purchased by the Ludwig family. In April of 1934, the estate was sold again to the Fulkerson family, at which time it became renowned as The Plantation Inn.
In 1946, it was purchased by Clara and Franklin Monroe, and then in 1954 by Leslie Cotterill and Allen Hoover. On July 27, 1954, Bob and Betty Foote purchased the property and gave it its identity for 48 years.
On June 1, 2004, Jay and Karne Sciarabba reopened the business as the Plantation Bar & Grill. As of August 2, 2005, the Plantation Bar & Grill is owned and operated by Chris Kappler. It continues to be a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere, where people can enjoy our great menu and friendly hospitality.